This dish not only looks appetising, but it tastes great and can be cooked in a jiffy. It is best eaten hot with a sweet-and-spicy side dish.
1 tablespoon Ghee / vegetable oil
8 to 10 medium garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
A pinch of turmeric
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 cup / 200g Basmati Rice, rinsed and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Heat the Ghee/oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and stir gently until golden.
- Add the pepper powder and stir for a few seconds, before adding 2 cups boiling water.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Bring the water to a boil.
- Drain and add the rice. Once the water begins to boil, cover the pan, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook until the water evaporates and rice is done, about 12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Let the pan rest on the hot stove, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork and serve hot.