A quick and easy recipe for healthful and tasty plantain fritters. Serve this as a snack or as a side dish with any meal.
Serves 4 to 6
2 medium green plantains
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder to taste
Coriander powder to taste
A pinch of turmeric powder
A pinch of asafoetida
Vegetable oil for cooking
1. Rinse the green plantains, trim the ends, and slice crosswise into ¼-inch thick pieces.
2. Place the plantain pieces in a bowl. Add the other ingredients, except the oil. Mix and set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Heat a griddle over medium heat. When hot, grease the griddle lightly with the oil.
4. Working in batches, place the plantain pieces on the griddle in a single layer. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the underside is golden brown. Uncover, flip the pieces and cook the other side until done, adding a few drops of oil if required. Remove to a plate.
5. Serve hot or at room temperature.