Cool, refreshing and hydrating—a perfect summer treat to beat the heat.
Serves 4 to 6
Freshly squeezed juice from 5 medium limes
Sugar to taste for lime juice, plus 3 tablespoons extra
A pinch of salt
1 tablespoon basil (tukmaria/sabja) seeds, cleaned and soaked for 15 minutes in ½ cup/125ml water
5 grams agar-agar sticks
- Place the lime juice in a large bowl. Add 2 cups/500ml water and sugar to taste and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the basil seeds, along with the soaking water, and mix.
- Place the agar-agar in a saucepan with 2 cups/500ml water and bring to a boil. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and simmer until the agar-agar dissolves in the water, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and add to the lime juice.
- Mix and pour into 2 eight-inch/20-cm round moulds. Place at room temperature until it begins to set. Stir to uniformly distribute the basil seeds.
- Refrigerate until firmly set.
- When ready to serve, place the mould at room temperature for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and invert onto a plate. Cut into desired shapes and serve cold.