During the winter season, gorgeous red-coloured carrots are available in abundance in markets throughout north India. These are commonly used to make the delectable carrot halwa, a traditional winter treat. There are many ways of making the dessert and I had posted one version in my blog sometime back.
This is another version of making the halwa. This time I made it with the red-coloured carrots, hence the attractive colour. This is full of the goodness of carrots, jaggery and coconut, but without compromising on the taste.
400g red/orange-coloured carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
1 cup/250g low-fat milk
Jaggery to taste
2 teaspoons Ghee
¼ teaspoon finely powdered green cardamoms
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cashew nuts, lightly roasted
½ cup/50g unsweetened finely-grated coconut, toasted until golden
1. Place the carrots and milk in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Cook until the carrots are tender, 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add jaggery to taste and mix. Cook until the jaggery melts and blends with the carrots.
3. When the liquid in the pan has evaporated, add the Ghee and stir for 5 minutes.
4. Add the green cardamoms, cashew nuts and toasted coconut. Mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Serve hot, or refrigerate and serve cold.