Roti John is a popular snack item in Singapore and Malaysia. Roti refers to bread and the name John depicts the western inspiration behind the origin of this dish.
Basically this is Omelette Sandwich. Often minced meat is added to the omelette and there are many variations like cheese chicken roti john, ikan bilis(anchovies) roti john, to name a few. I have omitted meat and added only vegetables in this recipe.
4 medium burger buns (or baguette)
3 eggs, beaten
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 fresh green chilli pepper, finely chopped
1 small red capsicum, de-seeded and finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
Tomato-chilli sauce (optional)
1. Slice the buns almost all the way through, leaving one side attached.
2. In a bowl, mix the eggs, onion, green chilli, capsicum, coriander leaves and salt.
3. Heat a pan over medium heat. Smear it with the oil.
4. Pour the egg mixture and tilt the pan slightly to spread the mixture uniformly.
5. Place the buns cut side facing down on the egg mixture and press them gently.
6. Cook until the egg mixture is set.
7. Using a spatula or knife, cut the egg omelette along the buns. Turn over the omelette and buns. Cook for another minute or so and remove to a plate.
8. Add some tomato sauce if needed and fold the buns before serving.
Tagged: bread recipe