This unusual combination of bitter gourd and egg surprisingly tastes great; you won’t believe it unless you try this! This can be served as a snack or side dish.
300g bitter gourds, de-seeded (if seeds are hard) and finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if required
Vegetable oil to deep fry
4 eggs, beaten
Red chilli powder to taste
1. Place the bitter gourds in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt and mix well. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Drain and discard the liquid released by the bitter gourds.
3. Heat the oil in a pan for deep-frying. Working in batches, deep-fry the bitter gourds until crisp and golden brown. Remove to a platter lined with kitchen paper.
4. To the beaten eggs, add salt and red chilli pepper as required (a pinch of salt will do as it has already been added to bitter gourds). Mix well.
5. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium pan and set over medium-low heat.
6. Add the eggs and stir until you have small, firm curds.
7. Add the bitter gourds and toss to combine.
8. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.