When cooked, brown Basmati rice has a nice chewy texture and it works beautifully in salads. The addition of mung beans and an assortment of vegetables, along with a finishing touch of spice infused oil, makes this super nutritious and tasty. You can serve this as a meal in itself.
SERVES 4 to 6
1 cup/160g Brown Basmati rice, washed, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
¼ cup/50g sprouted mung beans
1 medium cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
10-15 fresh curry leaves
4-5 dried red chillies, halved
½ teaspoon asafoetida
1. Bring enough water to boil in a saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon salt and rice and cook until the rice is 1/2 done. Add the mung beans and cook until the rice is cooked. Turn off the heat. Drain and leave to cool.
2. Add the cucumber, tomato, lime juice, coriander leaves and salt to taste. Toss to combine.
3. Heat the oil in a small pan. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the curry leaves and red chillies and stir until the colour of the chilli darkens.
4. Stir in the asafoetida. Turn off the heat and immediately pour the entire contents of the pan over the rice. Mix well.
5. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve cold.