This recipe transforms leftover rice into a tasty snack. Serve these fritters with a cup of tea or coffee.
1 cup/215g plain boiled/steamed rice, at room temperature
½ cup/50g grated fresh coconut
4 tablespoons small pieces of jaggery, or more to taste
1 medium banana, mashed
6 tablespoons plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
A pinch of ground green cardamoms
1 medium egg
Vegetable oil to deep-fry
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Blend the rice, coconut and jaggery to a slightly coarse paste using an electric blender. Transfer the paste to a bowl.
- Add the mashed banana, plain flour, baking powder and ground cardamoms. Mix well.
- Add the egg and mix to form a thick, sticky batter.
- Heat the oil in a pan for deep-frying. Working in batches, gently drop walnut-sized lumps of the batter into the hot oil and deep-fry until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Dust with powdered sugar if using and serve hot.