This is a custard-like dish usually made in individual ramekins. They are simple to make, pretty to look at and taste heavenly—perfect to impress your family or guests! If you do not have a steamer, bake them in a water bath instead. Serve as a side dish or as an appetizer.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra to grease the ramekins
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons frozen green peas, thawed
¼ cup/50g finely grated carrot
1 cup/150g finely chopped fresh spinach
1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Ground black peppercorns to taste
2 tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese
2 medium eggs
1. Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and stir until the onions turn translucent.
2. Add the peas, carrot, spinach and bell pepper. Add salt and mix. Cook until the water released by the vegetables evaporates and the mixture is dry.
3. Add the ground peppercorns and mix. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
4. Add the cheese and eggs and mix well.
5. Prepare 5 round ramekins by greasing them with the oil.
6. Divide the vegetable mixture among the greased ramekins. Cover with aluminium foil and steam for 20 to 30 minutes or until the timbales have set. Remove from the steamer and let cool slightly.
7. Unmould the timbales, and serve warm or at room temperature.