A brilliant way to use leftover steamed rice, this recipe is inspired by the Indonesian spicy omelette, Kerak telor. I adapted it to come up with this combination. Serve this as a snack with tomato ketchup.
Makes 1 Omelette
½ to ¾ cup boiled or steamed white rice, at room temperature
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 fresh green chilli pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 medium eggs
Vegetable oil to cook the omelette
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Heat a griddle over medium-low heat. Lightly grease the griddle with the oil.
3. Pour the rice mixture over the griddle. Quickly spread the mixture into a circle of uniform thickness, using the back of a spoon.
4. Cover the griddle and cook until the top of the disc has set entirely.
5. Flip the disc and cook the other side until golden.
6. Remove to a plate and serve immediately.