This is a wholesome, tasty snack that can be made in a jiffy. Serve this with a cup of tea or as a light meal.
7 cups/130g puffed rice
3 tablespoons chana dal
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
½ cup/90g raw peanuts
15-20 fresh curry leaves
1 teaspoon urad dal
4 dried red chilli peppers
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
4 fresh green chilli peppers, split lengthwise and halved
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
1. Place the puffed rice in a colander and rinse with water until softened. Drain the puffed rice.
2. Dry-roast the chana dal in a pan over low heat until lightly coloured. Remove from the heat and grind into a fine powder.
3. Add the oil to the same pan and set over medium-low heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the peanuts and stir until they turn a shade darker.
4. Add the curry leaves, urad dal and red chillies and stir for a few seconds before adding the onions and ginger. Mix well and cook until the onions turn translucent.
5. Add the green chilli peppers, tomato, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt. Stir for 1 minute.
6. Add the puffed rice and cook for a few minutes, until heated through. Taste and correct the seasonings if necessary.
7. Add the chana dal powder and mix. Remove from the heat.
8. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and lime juice.