Combining kidney beans and spinach, this is a wholesome home-style dish with a flavourful sauce. Serve this with plain boiled rice or Indian flatbreads.
SERVES 4 to 6
1 cup/220g kidney beans (rajma), soaked in water for 8 hours and drained
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
300g fresh spinach, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
1. Rinse the rajma. Cook the beans with 3 cups/750ml water in a pressure cooker, until tender. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid.
2. Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until golden, stirring gently.
3. Add the ginger-garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Stir gently for 2 minutes, adding a splash of water if the mixture begins to stick to the pan.
4. Add the tomato and cook until pulpy, stirring frequently.
5. Add the rajma, spinach and salt. Mix well.
6. Add ½ cup/125ml reserved cooking liquid. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Taste and add extra salt if necessary. Stir in the garam masala powder and turn off the heat. Leave it covered for 30 minutes on the warm stove before serving.