This simple preparation made from white radish is healthful and quite delicious. Serve this as an accompaniment with any meal or you can even use it as a topping for sandwiches and burgers.
SERVES 4 to 6
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
8-10 medium garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 fresh green chilli peppers, halved lengthways
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
800g Daikon radish, washed, peeled and coarsely grated
1 teaspoon salt, plus extra if needed
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Place the oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and green chilli peppers and stir gently for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the turmeric powder. Stir once and then immediately add the radish and salt. Mix well.
3. Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes or until the radish is tender, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if the pan is running dry.
4. Remove the lid. If there is any liquid in the pan, increase the heat and continue to cook until all the water evaporates. Taste and add extra salt if necessary. Remove from the heat.
5. Serve immediately garnished with lemon juice and coriander leaves.