This is a great way to enjoy the healthy and humble okra. This recipe also works well for barbecue.
Makes 20 stuffed okra
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra to grease a griddle
3 medium onions, finely chopped
8-10 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon red chilli powder, or to taste
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon amchur powder, or to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
20 medium and tender okra, washed and wiped dry
1. Place 2 tablespoons oil and the onions in a pan over medium-low heat. Cook the onions until golden, stirring frequently.
2. Add the garlic and cumin seeds and stir until you can smell them.
3. Add the red chilli powder, salt, amchur powder, and turmeric powder. Mix well and remove from the heat. Let cool to room temperature.
4. Cut tops off okra and make a slit along the length. Fill the okra with the mix.
5. Heat a griddle over medium-low heat. Grease it lightly with the oil.
6. Working in batches, place the okra in a single layer (stuffed-side facing up) and cook uncovered until tender, gently turning them to their sides (do not flip) occasionally for even cooking. Remove from the heat.
7. Serve hot.