This colourful and healthy version of burger is tasty and quite filling. Try this with fresh homemade burger buns for the best result.
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra to cook
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon ground peppercorns, or to taste
½ teaspoon garam masala powder, or to taste
150g X 2 blocks firm tofu, rinsed, patted dry and halved crosswise
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch/1-cm thick roundels and seeded
1 medium tomato, cut into ½-inch/1-cm thick roundels
1 small head of lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
4 Burger Buns, sliced crosswise
Tomato ketchup as needed
1. Combine the lime juice, oil, honey (if using), turmeric powder, salt, ground peppercorns and garam masala powder in a bowl. Brush the tofu blocks evenly on all sides with this mixture and leave for 15 minutes.
2. Set a griddle over medium heat. Smear it lightly with the oil. Place the marinated tofu blocks in a single layer on the heated griddle. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the underside is golden. Turn the tofu and cook until the other side is golden. Remove to a plate.
3. Place the bell pepper slices on the heated griddle in a single layer and cook until they just soften, turning once. Remove to a plate.
4. Finally, lightly toast both halves of the burger buns if desired.
5. Assemble the burger in the following stacking order from bottom up:
a. Bottom bun
b. Lettuce leaves
c. Red bell pepper
e. Tomato ketchup if using
g. Top Bun
6. Serve immediately.