These soft and buttery breads are as easy to make as they are delicious. Serve split and filled with burgers, your favourite vegetables or spreads.
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon dry baker’s yeast
3 tablespoons butter, softened
½ cup/125ml milk
1 medium egg
1 teaspoon salt
1¼ cups/200g whole wheat flour (or chapathi flour)
2¼ cups/340g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon milk
1. Mix ½ cup/125ml warm water, yeast and honey in a large bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, until it becomes frothy.
2. Stir in the butter, milk, egg and salt.
3. Add the wheat flour and mix with a spatula. Gradually add the plain flour and mix until you get a sticky lump of dough.
4. Transfer the dough to floured work surface. Knead the dough with your hands for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is pliable and slightly sticky.
5. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and leave for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
6. Punch the dough and knead briefly for 1-2 minutes. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces.
7. Shape each piece into a ball and arrange on lined baking trays. Cover loosely with oiled cling film and leave for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
8. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Combine the beaten egg and milk in a bowl. Uncover and brush the buns with the egg-milk mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.