Grace your table with this delicious dish featuring noodles, tofu and vegetables. Feel free to add vegetables of your choice.
Serves 4 to 5
300g Hakka Noodles
¾ teaspoon salt, or to taste
3 tablespoons sesame or vegetable oil
200g firm tofu, rinsed and patted dry with a kitchen paper
4-6 dried red chillies, halved
7-9 medium garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2-3 fresh green chillies, cut into roundels
1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
300g broccoli, cut into florets
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions
1. Cook the noodles al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Toss with ½ teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon oil. Set aside.
2. Place a griddle over medium-low heat. Smear lightly with oil. Place the tofu and cook until the underside is golden. Turn the tofu and cook the other side until golden. Remove the tofu to a plate. Let cool to room temperature. Cut into desired shape.
3. Place the remaining oil in a pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the red chillies. When the red chillies turn fragrant, remove with a slotted spoon and discard.
4. Add the garlic to the chilli-infused oil and stir gently until fragrant.
5. Add the green chillies and carrot and stir until the carrot is crisp-tender.
6. Add the broccoli and stir until it is cooked to your liking (do not overcook). Add the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
7. Add the noodles, tofu and soy sauce. Gently toss until heated through. Taste and add additional salt if necessary.
8. Remove from the heat. Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.