Finger millet, popularly known as Ragi, combined with yoghurt makes an excellent summer drink. It is refreshing, full of nutrients and an effective body coolant.
¾ cup/150g whole finger millet, cleaned, washed and soaked in water for 5 hours
1 cup/160g small pieces of jaggery
1½ cups/375ml thick plain yoghurt, whisked until smooth
1 teaspoon ground green cardamoms
1. Drain and place the finger millet in an electric blender. Add the jaggery and ¾ cup/190ml water and blend to make as smooth a mixture as possible.
2. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a jar, pressing the residue with a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.
3. Transfer the residue to a bowl. Add ¾ cup/190ml more water and mix. Strain the mixture again through the sieve into the jar. Discard the residue.
4. Add the yoghurt and ground cardamoms to the filtrate in the jar and mix.
5. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.