This is a one-pot dish combining rice, eggs and a variety of vegetables. As it is quite substantial, it can be served as a meal on its own. This is also a great way to use up leftover rice.
4 medium eggs
1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon ground black peppercorns
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
5-7 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh peeled ginger
3 fresh green chilli peppers, finely chopped
1 cup finely sliced cabbage
1 medium carrot, cut into sticks
1 medium capsicum, thinly sliced
1½ cups white rice, washed, cooked and cooled to room temperature
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
3 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions
Tomato ketchup for garnish (optional)
1. Crack the eggs into a bowl. Add ½ teaspoon salt and ground peppercorns. Beat the eggs until the yolks and whites are completely mixed.
2. Place 3 tablespoons oil in a large kadai (or pan) over medium heat. Pour the beaten eggs and stir gently until you have small chunks of cooked eggs. Remove to a plate.
3. Add the remaining oil to the kadai. Add the onions and stir gently until tender and translucent. Add the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger and green chillies. Stir gently until fragrant.
4. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the vegetables and stir until crisp-tender. Add the remaining salt and mix.
5. Add the rice, cooked eggs, soy sauce, vinegar and spring onions. Mix well. Cook until heated through, stirring gently.
6. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately, garnished with tomato ketchup if using.