This is a lovely creamy curry, with mushrooms adding a thrilling intensity of flavour unlike any other. Serve this with plain boiled rice.
2 tablespoons chickpea flour
1 cup/250ml thick plain yoghurt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
8-10 fresh curry leaves
1 medium onion, finely chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh peeled ginger
3-4 fresh red or green chilli peppers, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1½ teaspoons salt or to taste
200g button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- Combine chickpea flour and 3 cups/750ml water in a bowl. Add the yoghurt and mix.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, add the cumin seeds and curry leaves and stir for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the onion and stir gently until tender and translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and chillies and stir until fragrant.
- Add the turmeric and salt. Mix well.
- Add the yoghurt mixture. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the garam masala and coriander leaves. Remove from the heat.
- Serve hot.