This pickle has a hot and spicy flavour with sweet and sour undertones. It has a short shelf life and is best eaten on the day it is made.
400g raw mango, washed
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup/160g jaggery
1½ tablespoons cumin seeds, roasted and ground
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds, ground to a fine powder
3 teaspoons red chilli powder
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1. Peel and cut the mango into bite-size cubes, discarding the seed.
2. Place the oil and mango in a pan over medium-low heat. Cook until the mango is just tender, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the jaggery and salt. Mix well. When the jaggery melts, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
4. Add the spice powders and mix. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Remove from the heat.
6. When completely cool, it’s ready to eat. You may refrigerate this pickle in an air-tight jar for 3-4 days.