A few dried shrimp elevate a simple recipe like this one to something quite sophisticated and wonderful. Serve this as a side dish.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
10-15 fresh curry leaves, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
300g cabbage, finely chopped and rinsed
50g dried shrimp, soaked in hot water for 1 hour
Salt and amchur powder to taste
Spring onion to garnish (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until well browned, stirring frequently.
2. Add the cumin seeds, green chillies, curry leaves, garlic and turmeric. Stir gently until fragrant.
3. Add the cabbage. Drain and rinse the shrimp and add to the cabbage. Mix well.
4. Cover and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked to your liking. Add salt and amchur powder to taste. Remove from the heat.
5. Garnish with spring onion, if using. Serve hot.