A lovely, comforting soup that is low in fat, yet intensely flavourful. This soup tastes great even when refrigerated and served cold!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
200g brown button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 cups/750ml low-fat milk
2 slices of wholemeal bread
Salt and freshly ground black peppercorns to taste
Finely sliced spring onion for garnish
1. Place the oil in a medium pan and set over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until browned.
2. Add the mushrooms and stir for a minute. Add the milk and bring to a gentle boil.
3. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the bread slices. Cover and leave on the warm stove until the mixture cools to room temperature.
4. Transfer the mixture to an electric blender and make a smooth puree. Return the puree to the pan.
5. Add salt to taste. Reheat and serve garnished with pepper to taste and spring onion.