This simple but satisfying chutney has well-rounded flavours. Serve this with any meal.
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
10-15 fresh curry leaves
6-8 dried red chilli peppers, halved
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
250g Indian Spinach (Palak), rinsed and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup/70g dry-roasted peanuts without skin
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon tamarind chunk
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a pan. When hot, add the curry leaves, red chilli peppers and onions and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic cloves and stir gently for about a minute or so, until fragrant.
2. Add the spinach, cover and cook until tender. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Place the peanuts in an electric blender and grind to a coarse powder. Add the cooked spinach mixture, salt to taste and tamarind. Blend again to make a smooth paste, adding some water to aid the blending process.
4. Taste and correct the seasoning if necessary.
5. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a small pan. When hot, add the cumin seeds and stir gently until fragrant. Immediately pour the contents of the pan over the chutney.
6. Mix and serve.