This is an irresistible burfi made from almonds and milk. It has a delightful soft texture and an appealing flavour. It is simple and quick to make and can be stored in an airtight container for a week or so.
3 tablespoons liquid Ghee
1 cup/170g blanched almonds
¾ cup/190ml full-cream milk
1 cup/240g sugar
6-8 saffron strands
¼ teaspoon ground green cardamom
1. Lightly grease the base and sides of a tray with Ghee.
2. Using an electric blender, blend the almonds and milk to a thick, slightly coarse paste.
3. Transfer to a heavy bottomed pan. Add 2 tablespoons Ghee, sugar and saffron. Mix.
4. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture reduces and begins to leave the sides of the pan. Add the remaining Ghee and cardamom and mix.
5. Stir for a few more minutes until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
6. Spread the mixture on the greased tray. Allow to cool.
7. Cut into pieces and serve.