Soft and fluffy, these savoury steamed cakes are nutritious, scrumptious and filling. Serve them hot with Mint & Coriander leaves Chutney with Coconut.
Makes 21 idlis
½ cup/115g urad dal
¼ cup/60g moong dal
1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
1-inch/2.5-cm fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 fresh green chilli pepper, coarsely chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1¼ cups/230g fine semolina
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon asafoetida
Vegetable oil for greasing idli moulds
1. Wash the urad dal and moong dal and soak in water with the fenugreek seeds for 3-4 hours.
2. Drain and transfer to an electric blender or wet grinder. Add the ginger, green chilli pepper and turmeric powder and blend to a thick, smooth batter, adding water as needed.
3. Place the batter in a large bowl. Add the semolina and salt and mix. The batter should have a thick pouring consistency; add some water if necessary.
4. Cover and let the batter ferment for 10-12 hours or overnight.
5. Stir in the asafoetida.
6. Pour the batter in greased idli moulds and steam for 12-15 minutes or until the idlis are cooked.
7. Remove the moulds from the steamer and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove the idlis from the moulds and serve.