Also known as Gajrela or Carrot Halwa, this is a popular Indian dessert. Basically, it is made with grated carrots, milk and sugar; flavoured with cardamoms; and garnished with ghee-roasted pistachio nuts and almonds.
There are many variations of the dessert, including the one given here. The addition of sweetened condensed milk gives a beautiful flavour and texture to the finished dish. Serve this hot, chilled, or at room temperature.
1 tablespoon unsalted pistachio nuts
1 tablespoon peeled and sliced almonds
1 tablespoon unsalted cashew nuts, halved
2 tablespoons ghee
750g carrots, peeled and grated
2½ cups/625ml low-fat milk
400g low-fat sweetened condensed milk
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Roast the pistachio nuts, almonds and cashew nuts, separately, in a pan, until a shade darker in colour, adding a few drops of the ghee as needed. Place the roasted nuts in a bowl.
2. Place the carrots and milk in a thick-bottomed pan over medium-low heat. Cook until the milk is almost absorbed, 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the condensed milk and ghee and cook, stirring frequently, until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
4. Add the cardamom and mix.
5. Remove from the heat. Serve garnished with roasted pistachio nuts, almonds and cashew nuts.