This delectable potato-stuffed flatbread is a popular breakfast option in most North Indian households. Serve this with plain yoghurt and a spicy Indian pickle.
For the filling:
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, dry-roasted and ground
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, dry-roasted and ground
1 fresh green chilli pepper, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves
1 teaspoon lime juice
For the outer dough:
2 cups/305g chapathi flour, plus extra for dusting
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
1. Make the filling: Cover the potatoes with enough water and cook until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash the potatoes. Add the rest of the filling ingredients and mix well.
2. Make the outer dough: Combine the chapathi flour, salt and oil in a medium bowl. Gradually add water and mix to make a medium-soft dough. Knead the dough for 5 to 8 minutes until smooth and pliable. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. Knead the rested outer dough for a minute or so. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a ball. Divide the filling into 8 equal parts and shape each into a ball.
4. Heat a griddle (or a tava) over medium-low heat until quite hot.
5. Slightly flatten an outer dough ball and roll out into a disc of about 4-inch/10-cm diameter, using a rolling pin and board. Place a filling-ball in the centre of the rolled-out disc. Gather up the edge of the disc towards the centre and then pinch the edge together to seal the filling securely inside the dough.
6. Gently roll it out into a disc of about 7-inch/18-cm diameter, dusting with loose flour as needed, and place it on the griddle.
7. When the underside of the dough disc develops a few scattered brown spots, flip the disc. Spread some ghee on the upper surface.
8. When the other side develops brown spots, flip again and spread some ghee on the other side as well. Cook for 10 seconds or so and remove it from the griddle. Serve immediately.
9. Repeat the process with the remaining dough balls and the filling.