This cake is marvellously moist and soft. It is quite filling as well. You can refrigerate this for up to 3 days.
1¾ cups/350g medium semolina
½ cup/35g finely grated copra(dried coconut) or grated fresh coconut
1 cup/180g granulated sugar
3 tablespoons flaxseeds, finely ground
2 tablespoons unsalted cashew nuts, coarsely ground
2 tablespoons raisins
½ cup/125ml low-fat whipping cream, whisked until smooth
2½ cups/625ml milk, plus more if needed
½ cup/125ml yoghurt, whisked until smooth
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Place the semolina in a pan and dry-roast until fragrant. Transfer to a plate. Place the copra or coconut in the pan and dry-roast until golden, stirring continuously. Transfer to the plate. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and place rack in the centre of the oven. Line the base and sides of a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper.
3. Combine the semolina, copra, sugar, ground flaxseeds and cashew nuts, and raisins in a bowl. Add the whipping cream and mix.
4. Add the milk, a little at a time, and mix to make a thick, dropping consistency batter. Add more milk if necessary, to adjust the consistency.
5. Stir in the baking soda in the yoghurt. Add to the semolina mixture with the vanilla essence and mix well.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 90 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve at room temperature.