This is a fragrant curry with a lovely colour. It goes well with steamed plain Basmati rice. Though I have specified types of vegetables, you can use almost any.
½ cup/70g unsalted cashew nuts
60g fresh coriander leaves and stems, rinsed thoroughly and coarsely chopped
2 to 6 fresh green chilli peppers, depending on your preference for pungency
3 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
20g fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-inch/2.5-cm piece of cinnamon stick
1 green cardamom, bruised
8 to 10 fresh curry leaves
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
300g cauliflower, cut into florets
5 yard long beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch/2.5-cm lengths
100g baby corn, halved lengthwise
100g carrot, trimmed and cut into roundels
½ cup/70g frozen green peas, thawed
1 cup/250ml coconut milk
Salt to taste
Lime for serving
1. Soak the cashew nuts in 1 cup/250ml warm water for 30 minutes.
2. Place the cashew nuts (with the soaking liquid), coriander, green chilli peppers, garlic and ginger in an electric blender and blend until smooth, adding ½ cup/125ml water.
3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and stir gently until fragrant. Add the curry leaves and onion and stir to coat with the oil. Cover the pan and cook until the onion is softened.
4. Stir in the ground cumin seeds and turmeric powder. Add all the vegetables, except the green peas, and mix well.
5. Add the ground paste with additional ½ cup/125ml water. Stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are half-done, about 15 minutes. Remember to stir frequently to prevent the sauce from catching at the base.
6. Add the coconut milk with 1 cup/250ml water. Stir in the salt, and continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked, stirring frequently. Add the green peas in the last 5 minutes of the cooking time.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Remove from the heat.
8. Squeeze some lime juice just before serving.