In this recipe, hard boiled eggs are cooked in a tangy and spicy sauce. The eggs absorb the flavours and the result is pleasing to the palate. Serve this dish with bread or steamed plain rice.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 medium ripe tomatoes, pureed
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground
1 to 2 teaspoons red chilli powder (depending on your preference for pungency)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and halved lengthways
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned.
2. Add the tomato puree and garlic paste. Stir in the ground cumin seeds, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in the sugar. Taste and add extra salt if necessary.
4. Add the eggs (yolk-side up) and stir gently to coat them with the sauce. Alternatively, ladle some sauce over the eggs. Do not flip the eggs and ensure the yolk-side is facing up. Simmer for 5 more minutes before turning off the heat.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.