This dosa is very easy to make as you do not have to plan ahead to soak the ingredients or ferment the batter. The addition of instant oatmeal gives this dosa a creamy taste and you will have the satisfaction of including it in your diet. Serve it hot because the dosa loses its crispiness as it cools down. You may serve it on its own or with your favourite chutney. This is a great recipe to include in your repertoire.
Makes 8 eight-inch dosas
1 cup/80g instant oatmeal
1 cup/170g rice flour
1/3 cup/65g fine semolina
¼ cup/45g maida (all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon salt
Vegetable oil for frying dosas
- Place the oatmeal in an electric blender and grind to a smooth powder. Transfer to a bowl. Add the rice flour, semolina, maida and salt. Mix well.
- Add about 3½ cups/875ml water and mix to make a thin smooth batter.
- Heat a dosa griddle over medium heat until a few drops of water dropped onto the surface of the griddle sizzle immediately. Grease the griddle very lightly using the oil.
- Using a ladle, stir the batter and pour it in a circular motion on the griddle, starting from the edge towards the centre. Fill any gaps in the middle with additional batter uniformly. Pour a few drops of the oil around the edge of the dosa. Cover the griddle with a tight-fitting lid. Cook until the underside of the dosa is golden brown.
- Uncover the griddle. Using a spatula, fold the dosa in half along its diameter.
- Serve immediately.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter in this way.