This healthy salad is a riot of colours, flavours and textures: chewy black rice, crisp red and yellow bell peppers, soft green peas and crunchy sesame seeds are topped with a simple lemon dressing. It’s delicious on its own and nothing else is needed to complement it.
½ cup/100g black rice
½ cup/60g frozen green peas
1 medium red bell pepper
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1 tablespoon dry-roasted sesame seeds
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Rinse the black rice and soak in water for 6 hours or overnight. Drain the rice.
2. Place 2 cups/500ml water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in ½ teaspoon salt, then add the rice and return to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and let rest on the warm stove for 10 minutes. Transfer the rice to a tray and let cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, cook the green peas in boiling water for about 5 minutes, drain and let cool to room temperature.
4. When ready to eat, remove the stem and de-seed the bell peppers. Cut them into 1/4-inch/6-cm square pieces. In a salad bowl, combine the rice, green peas, bell peppers and sesame seeds; toss together, adding black pepper to taste and additional salt if necessary.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Pour over the salad and toss lightly to coat. Serve immediately.
You may also like to try out the scrumptious Chakhao Kheer, made with black rice.